Bethphage’s theme this year is Better Health; this aims to promote and enable our colleagues and the people we support to lead happier and healthier lives, this can be achieved through activity, balanced diet and access to good quality healthcare.
We have taken part in various activities throughout the year to show our commitment to delivering this theme:
- One the 12th of April we held a Better Health Day where Bethphage staff took part in workshops. The workshops included Mencap’s Treat Me Well campaign, Help2Change, Energize and Alaine Miller & Linda Hudson from the Shrewsbury & Telford Hospital NHS Trust. We received positive feedback from the staff that took part in the day!
- We also took part in several Park Runs that were organized to make people with learning disabilities feel especially welcome! These were held in Shrewsbury, Oswestry and Telford. It was great to see staff and people we support get involved.
- Mencap’s work at our Better Health day led to us participating in their Treat Me Well workshops; they were attended by a range of staff and people we support. These workshops focused on improving the treatment individuals with learning disabilities get in hospitals. This has also led to the launch of a local branch of the Treat Me Well campaign called Treat Me Well Shropshire!
- We also worked with Energize following the Better Health day; taking part in a pilot scheme to measure the effect of well being and healthy lifestyle focused messages on our in-company social media “Workplace”. Energize will be taking these findings and their expertise to our staff conference in October!
- On Sunday the 18th of August Elite Care at Home kindly hosted a charity football match to fundraise for Bethphage! It was great fun and gave the staff and people we support a chance to get involved in playing football. They raised an amazing £322 for us!
- Lastly, our theme will be represented at our staff conference in October; with workshops taking place throughout the afternoon on topics such as; mindfulness, healthy eating, the Treat Me Well campaign and more from Energize!
We are excited by our progress on this theme and hope to take the lessons we have learnt to the end of the year and beyond!